This site contains a collection of techniques for barbecuing, smoking and cooking over fire. The techniques shown here are not the only way or the best way to prepare a certain item. This site is just a starting point and these techniques are a guide to creating your own recipes. Recipes included here come not only from personal experiences, but from many knowledgeable folks kind enough to share their secrets. ~thirdeye~

19980910

Norcoredneck's Mom's Rice

Rice is a nice break from potatoes but some recipes can be kind of boring for some folks ..... Take my word for it, that is NOT the case with this dish. In fact I was torn between putting this recipe in the side dish or the one dish meal section. In all honesty, it can be either one.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


To bring you up to speed here, I met Norcoredneck on The BBQ Brethren Forum where we both are regulars. Three days after he gave me the recipe I made my first batch. It has been a favorite ever since. If the recipe has another name, I never heard it....He calls it "The Rice" and I started calling it NorcoMom Rice. Anyway, it all started with a simple question. "Well....how about the lowdown on the rice with smoked bacon?" Below is the whole story. Thanks Norco for sharing this with us.

~thirdeye~



We ate this rice a lot growing up and after we left the house, it was a treat when we came to visit. My mom always pulled me aside and said she made it special for just me. Little did I know she told my brothers the same. We always went home with a country crock, or cool whip container full (never returned her Tupperware). Never found a person who did not like it. The rice is always good as leftovers. Remember when you were a teenager and come home starving? I used to heat up a bowl of it and eat up.

I never watched my mom make it but learned from my sister. I put a twist on it as I began doing Q. When I fire up my smoker I cook the bacon in heavy smoke. Instead of bell peppers I started using 6-8 cored jalapenos. This came to me because I always buy extra when cookin' ABT's. I have some trimmings from ribs I smoked that I plan on using next time I thaw them out. As for the rice, it is a recipe my Mom learned in the Philippines where I was born. The original recipe is a fried rice. Here is the ingredients for hers.

2 cups rice, cooked
1 lb. bacon, cooked and chopped
1 bell pepper, diced
5 or so diced green onions
4 eggs
1 whole garlic minced
soy sauce

Add bell pepper, garlic, onion, and saute in a little of bacon grease. Not too long or peppers get mushy. Add eggs, bacon and stir to scramble eggs. Add some soy sauce and rice. Cook and stir as adding soy sauce to taste. I like more soy in mine.

Norcoredneck