This site contains a collection of techniques for barbecuing, smoking and cooking over fire. The techniques shown here are not the only way or the best way to prepare a certain item. This site is just a starting point and these techniques are a guide to creating your own recipes. Recipes included here come not only from personal experiences, but from many knowledgeable folks kind enough to share their secrets. ~thirdeye~

19960708

Cajun Rice and Gravy with Brisket



This is a Cajun comfort food known as rice and gravy…. Which by the way always has a braised meat that is cooked until it is fork tender or beyond. The classic technique is to brown the meat in oil, add the “trinity” of vegetables (onion, bell pepper & celery) some garlic, hot peppers or cayenne, then deglaze with water and cook everything down until a gravy is produced and the meat is fork tender. The gravy is served over rice along with the meat. My twist on this meal was to season the brisket with a layer of black pepper, celery seed, Montreal Steak Seasoning and Weber’s N’Orleans Seasoning. This rub combination gives me onion, garlic, red pepper and paprika. It’s like a trinity in rub form.





I smoked the brisket for 8 hours in my drum smoker. 




 On my BGE I built a fire and heated up my vintage "Magnalite" Cajun roaster to 300°. I started the onions, later some celery, added some Beefy Jus and once softened, added more Beefy Jus, and finally I added the brisket. 



 3.5 to 4 hours later it probed tender. 



 I removed the veggies and some pan juices to further reduce for the gravy, and then wrapped the roaster in a towel for 2.5 additional hours of holding time. A side of beans with jalapenos and a homemade roll rounded out the plate.