This site contains a collection of techniques for barbecuing, smoking and cooking over fire. The techniques shown here are not the only way or the best way to prepare a certain item. This site is just a starting point and these techniques are a guide to creating your own recipes. Recipes included here come not only from personal experiences, but from many knowledgeable folks kind enough to share their secrets. ~thirdeye~

19990709

Mop's and Spray's for Barbecued Meats

If you want to have a lively conversation around the pit, just bring up the subject of mops or sprays.  I'm an old baster, and was taught that barbecue meat needs some moisture during cooking.  I rarely use string mops or brushes anymore but I like spray bottles.  They are more sanitary and get the job done faster so I can get back to cooking. I generally start spraying meats about an hour into the cook as long as the bark has begun to set.  My favorite spray bottles come from NAPA Auto Parts, and I buy the 16oz sizes.  They also sell spray heads separately. Below are some of the concoctions I use. 

Water
This is the universal spray, and works on all meats.  Wait for the bark to start setting up, maybe an hour or so.  If you want a quick spray for steak add some salt and pepper to water in a microwave approved container and heat it so the salt will dissolve.  

DP Beef Spray for Ribs and Brisket
This spray uses dill pickle juice in place of vinegar. I like the tart and slightly salty flavor and it gives beef a nice deep color. You an vary the amounts of pickle juice to suit your tastes.

6 ounces of beef broth or soup base (minor's brand preferred)
1 or 2 ounces of dill pickle juice
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire